Author Topic: Locke Natural Law  (Read 481 times)

Offline Dale Eastman

• Owner of myself and this website
  • Administrator
  • Promiscuous Poster
  • Reputation 0
  • This space for rent
    • Synaptic Sparks
Locke Natural Law
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »
Natural law means quid pro quo. Pretty much how many of us deal with others on a daily basis. I treat you with the respect you deserve as a fellow human. I treat you as equal to me. The same way I want to be treated by you. (Sometimes, unfortunately, there are times when this is a one way treatment.)

According to Locke: Excerpted & Abridged:
[W]e must consider, what state all men are naturally in, and that is, a state of perfect freedom to order their actions, and dispose of their possessions and persons, as they think fit, within the bounds of the law of nature, without asking leave, or depending upon the will of any other man.

A state also of equality, wherein all the power and jurisdiction is reciprocal, no one having more than another; there being nothing more evident, than that creatures of the same species and rank, promiscuously born to all the same advantages of nature, and the use of the same faculties, should also be equal one amongst another without subordination or subjection ...

The state of nature has a law of nature to govern it, which obliges every one: and reason, which is that law, teaches all mankind, who will but consult it, that being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions ...

And that all men may be restrained from invading others rights, and from doing hurt to one another, and the law of nature be observed, which willeth the peace and preservation of all mankind, the execution of the law of nature is, in that state, put into every man's hands, whereby every one has a right to punish the transgressors of that law to such a degree, as may hinder its violation: for the law of nature would, as all other laws that concern men in this world be in vain, if there were no body that in the state of nature had a power to execute that law, and thereby preserve the innocent and restrain offenders. And if any one in the state of nature may punish another for any evil he has done, every one may do so: for in that state of perfect equality, where naturally there is no superiority or jurisdiction of one over another, what any may do in prosecution of that law, every one must needs have a right to do.

In transgressing the law of nature, the offender declares himself to live by another rule than that of reason and common equity, [...] and so he becomes dangerous to mankind [...] And in the case, and upon this ground, EVERY MAN HATH A RIGHT TO PUNISH THE OFFENDER, AND BE EXECUTIONER OF THE LAW OF NATURE.

Simply said, if you attempt to violate me by violating my life, health, liberty, or possessions, I end you and society is better for the act. I have the right to use defensive force against you, up to and including killing you if that is what is required to stop your attempted violation of my Natural Rights.

This comment does not address recompense for violations and harms accomplished.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 08:39:42 AM by Dale Eastman »
Natural Law Matters