• Administrator
  • Promiscuous Poster
  • Reputation 0
  • This space for rent
    • Synaptic Sparks
SB
« on: January 31, 2022, 03:27:25 PM »
Quote from: 1104 30 Jan
I would say that without some sort of hierarchy, people would probably become too nihilistic to want to live anymore. People naturally respect legitimate authority. That’s what gives people direction, and thus a sense of meaning. Many of the anarchists seem to be of the opinion that they are absolutely right, but that’s usually a sign that they are not truly confident in their stance and don’t really know enough. Too much cerebral loftiness and not enough working with what they already to move towards a better life.
Quote from: 0110 31 Jan
People naturally respect legitimate authority.

What, exactly, do you mean when you use the word 'authority'?

What, exactly, makes such authority 'legitimate'?
Quote from: 1244 31 Jan
Dale Eastman There's no escaping it. In any organization, there are leaders. Leaders hold their position partly through the application of "power," I suppose, but also by being competent. They acquire whatever power they have through the regular demonstration of their competence.
If everyone involved is actually interested in the success of the organization, then it is natural for them to follow the instructions of the leader in that organization. To do otherwise would put the success of the organization in jeopardy, no? In short order, the whole thing would collapse without some sort of hierarchy. Of course, if the hierarchy is stratified by anything other than competence, then it is not respectable, in which case it should be rebelled against.
Quote from: 1628 31 Jan
I ask again: What, exactly, do you mean when you use the word 'authority'?

Natural Law Matters