4 > Discussions; Public Archive

SH

(1/6) > >>

Dale Eastman:
https://www.facebook.com/debra.osborn.9231/posts/pfbid0nGbAcPam7WyWhLaWr6ZZPwP8dsueRYAPGvGJ5gBUJ2zu6BJx4yD2kteq4feEA87Al

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=851149186215764&set=gm.3314460482108521&idorvanity=1956067967947786

file:///C:/Users/daler/Pictures/FB%20related%20or%20used/doSH/315099590_5582416698503056_4354517781449167029_n.jpg

--- Quote from: 19 1142 ---<Snarcasm>
You mean what SH was taught in school?
</Snarcasm>
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: from SH sister 19 1600 ---😁
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 19 2207 ---➽ [My sister] and I were both home schooled, or "unschooled". FYI. 😘
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 19 2213 ---Yeah, but somehow we both went to college and saw a very different theater.
Part of the reason I didn't want to keep going and continued my self education instead.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 19 2234 ---I recall the discussion you and your sister had. I put my 2 cents in early in that thread. You wanted no interaction with me, so I just sat back and observed. Because of what you presented, this original post simply reminded me of your words. It is only because Debra did the original post that I recalled your words. Had it been anyone else in my community of liberty minded folks, I doubt I would have recalled your words.
Being reminded of how you lucked out of the government indoctrination centers, I find myself amazed at how, dare I say, inculcated the beliefs you presented were (and I assume still are).
You are not a member of the remnant... Dialog is if you will it.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 19 2239 ---Actually, this post wasn't directed to my sister (or anyone in particular), but I did remember the above referenced discussion when you commented here.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: SH to sister: 20 0113 ---Googling a bunch of stuff which confirms your biases, and disregarding anything which causes cognitive dissonance, is NOT education. Having your core beliefs and values examined and challenged is good for you. It's good for your mind, it's good for your mental health, it's good for critical thinking, it's good for developing a well-rounded understanding of life and the world. I don't mean behind a screen, I mean face to face, real life, real actions with real consequences type of stuff.

If I had not fulfilled two degrees, I would never have studied some of the subjects I studied. I just wouldn't have, because those subjects were so foreign or obscure to me. I would never have had to think those thoughts, expand my mind the way I did. I loved every minute of my college experiences (pleural because I got my degrees a full decade apart), and plan on taking some classes this spring just for fun, and next fall I'm starting on a program to advance one of my degrees (either general science or biology, I haven't decided yet).

I really can't understand why learning a subject from a master of that subject is such a bad thing. J wants to learn to ride a horse, so I'm taking her to a stable with instructors who are experts in all things equine. Not to, say, some guy with a zebra in the back alley. Ya know?

The more you learn, the more you realize you know nothing. That's actually true. Chemistry and biology are beyond fascinating, but they are not a weekend read, if you know what I mean. No way in heck would I try to tackle that myself. And what would be the point? I can't actually get a job teaching or doing lab work being "self taught".

Whatever negative experience you had in college, I wish you could look beyond that and not paint everything with such a broad brush. I don't know what happened that made you feel so negative, but maybe the environment wasn't good. I don't know.
--- End quote ---

I really can't understand why learning a subject from a master of that subject is such a bad thing. Shat things exactly, are mainstream news casters master of?

Prussian Method of schooling.

--- Quote from: 20 0115 ---Dale Eastman wow I'm flattered that I'm so memorable. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I think I remember you. You're that guy who uses a lot of words to say very little.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 21 0927 --- I'll take your reply as an intention to discuss "things". Thank you.

Use less words... Got it ✔

So if you don't understand the points I present, you need to ask me to clarify.

Of course, if you don't comprehend the point(s) I present, I will figure it out from any non-sequitur responses you post. If that happens I will be asking questions about what you mean with your words. So... Lots of questions back and forth to come to an understanding?

Are you for liberty or are you for slavery?
--- End quote ---

Dale Eastman:

--- Quote from: 21 0944 ---Dale Eastman look man, I've already had this exact same conversation about a thousand times with my sister. At this point, it's just tiring. I'm for a well-regulated government run by The People. I don't believe in black and white, right vs wrong. Nearly every single thing in life is shades of gray, nuance. There are almost no absolutes. Plus, y'all tend to change the definition of words to whatever fits your agenda. So when you ask a question like "are you for liberty, or are you for slavery", I tend to just roll my eyes and think "here we go again". Because it's not an either-or question. And anarchists love to paint everything in absolutes, in either-or, when almost nothing in life is absolute/either-or. At the same time, when stuck in a corner, y'all just move the goalposts. Get my drift? It's a fool's game. My position is that anarchy, especially in the US, is a very bad, terrible, awful idea, and that position won't change because I've already done the mental work required to determine what I think of it. Just read about what is happening in Iran right now and maybe you'll be more appreciative of the soil we stand on. I don't know. But I don't know you, you don't know me, and it's not my job to convince you of anything. And vice versa. The only reason I continue to have this exact same conversation with my sister over and over is because I love her and care about her welfare, along with the welfare of her husband and children. I want all of them safe. And nothing you can say is going to convince me that anarchy is safer than the extreme privilege we already have in this country.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 21 1011 ---Thank you for your reply.
You've given me much to work with.

➽ Plus, y'all tend to change the definition of words to whatever fits your agenda.

Please present your evidence that I am one of "y'all".

Gasorminumplaz.

A higher level educated person such as your self must surely be aware of what is referred to as "Voltaire's Admonition."

Paraphrased as: If you wish to communicate, first define your terms.

➽ Because it's [liberty or slavery] not an either-or question.

I understand why you take that position. So for this moment I agree with you. You are not aware of the connecting dots. So I cleave the question and focus on just the one half.

Are you for slavery?

--- End quote ---

Dale Eastman:

--- Quote from: 21 1053 ---I guess I wasn't clear. I was explaining to you why I'm not having a discussion with you. It's a waste of my time and energy. I'm wrapping presents and feeding brunch to my kids and have no desire to engage in yet another debate on a topic I am already well-informed about and know where I stand.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 21 1345 ---➽ I guess I wasn't clear.

You were VERY clear that you are FOR slavery and ENSLAVEMENT of humans.
--- End quote ---

Dale Eastman:

--- Quote from: 21 1357 ---Meaningless gif
✓ ✔ ✗
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 21 1410 ---➽ Meaningless gif

I stated:
⚡You were VERY clear that you are FOR slavery and ENSLAVEMENT of humans.⚡

Your failure to deny, IS your admission that I am correct.

You're busy... I don't need any immediate responses. I can wait.
Just make sure you tag me when you do have time to engage.
--- End quote ---

Dale Eastman:

--- Quote from: 21 1501 --->"Googling a bunch of stuff which confirms your biases, and disregarding anything which causes cognitive dissonance, is NOT education. "

\\ I agree. And I didn't. I learned something that greatly, and in some cases, completely contradicted what I thought I knew. I was just as statist as you...only I was on the other wing, but it was the same big, ugly bird.

>"I really can't understand why learning a subject from a master of that subject is such a bad thing. J wants to learn to ride a horse, so I'm taking her to a stable with instructors who are experts in all things equine. Not to, say, some guy with a zebra in the back alley. Ya know?"

\\ Actually that guy in the back alley with a zebra is way more of a master :3
I also didn't say I didn't want to learn from someone who wasn't a master. Also, things that are self evident should be discoverable in and of themselves.

>"The more you learn, the more you realize you know nothing. That's actually true. Chemistry and biology are beyond fascinating, but they are not a weekend read, if you know what I mean. No way in heck would I try to tackle that myself. And what would be the point? I can't actually get a job teaching or doing lab work being "self taught"."

\\ Yeah, I know I am quite stupid. I often wonder how I could be so stupid and still be breathing 😉
Actually I do think I am a slow learner, I've rejected and argued against a lot of what I now know to be true.
And you'd be very surprised how much respect you can get, especially in some fields, being self taught.

>"Whatever negative experience you had in college, I wish you could look beyond that and not paint everything with such a broad brush. I don't know what happened that made you feel so negative, but maybe the environment wasn't good. I don't know."

\\ I never said I had a bad experience, I said I saw a theater. See: Plato's allegory of the cave.
The rest of this post is more in response to things you said to Dale...
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version